Monday 16 July 2012

My new puppy.

I'm changing my blog from all quilting to include the Life of Chester the Dobie...

I thought it would be fun to write about my new puppy as he grows up.  We have two Labs Chase & Tootsie.  We got Chase when she was 5 1/2 weeks old, the runt and as sweet as can be. Her mom had a little golden retriever so she has ended up a red lab with the feathers on her tail, legs and tummy and is soft as can be. W adopted Tootsie about 4 years ago or she would have been taken to the pound. She has been Ben's running partner ever since.


A few years ago I became friends with some really great Doberman people when I started looking for a pup. I had been working with a breeder for about a year and a half but her breeding's just didn't take, I decided not to wait any longer and started looking else where. I wasn't in a real rush but I stared looking.

 I finally found a litter born April 16th. What was neat was that it was a litter of 8, 2 of each red, black, blue & fawn. All boys except the blue.


I had decide I wanted a red one so I called. Usually when I found pups they were already spoken for but got lucky this time. Cassie and I drove up to Salem. this was May 6th. Chase had been the runt so I thought I'd pick the little red one but then I picked up the brother. Looked into his sweet face and I was lost. 

I had been holding him in the middle of my chest when he fell asleep. After a few minutes he just sort of fell over. I figured this had to be him if he trusted me enough to fall over like that. So Chester because one of the family.   Then Ben and I drove up again on Mother's Day so he could meet Chester too. He had started to eat really food by then and you could tell they all were starting to get a mind of their own.

The kids and I drove up the next Saturday. The family was really nice and said we could come up every weekend if we wanted to but a two hour drive up and back for a 20 minute visit was just to much. 

At 6 1/2 weeks the kids and I went to visit again. Figured Ethan would want to visit his summer buddy. he was a little rascal, already getting into things. We had a great visit but decided not to go back up until it was time to bring him home. Which was another two weeks on June 9th.

I had been planning on getting his ears done. I spent about a week and a half checking int a Vet who would crop and wrap...boy what stress. After looking over all the pictures we'd taken Ben said he was just as cute without his ears done as he would be with so I decided since we weren't going to breed or show him we'd keep him with the natural look.

Next...the pick up date.






No comments:

Post a Comment