Monday 20 September 2010

My Sister's blocks


Okay, I said I was starting a new project so here it is. If you click on the picture, it gets bigger and you can see it better.
Early in the spring my sister, who lives in Las Vegs asked if she finished cross stitching some blocks a friend gave her would I quilt them. As long as she wasn't in a hurry, because I might have to set it aside for a Christmas project, then sure. She even said she would pay for the addition fabric.. again a plus.

So last week I received the package. It was 30 17" plus squares. I used my EQ6 program to come up with what a 5 by 6 block quilt would look like. What was nice is that they had the printing still imprinted so it was easy to cut down to a uniform size....16 1/4. This took me a couple nights of trimming to get them all cut down.

The next step was to cut the strips for the sashing. She had said she would like pale green or lavender but what ever color I thought would work. Took both kids with me to the quilt shop and while Cassie and I were looking at the greens and purples, Ethan walks up with this one and it worked great.
So I cut strips, then the sashings. Then began to sew the sashings on. Then once I got the sashings sewn on then I started sewing the blocks together . Once you have the strips cut, it doesn't really take any time at all to start the assembly. Goes by rather quickly.


By the time I stopped Sunday night, I had all the rows sewn together and the size measured for the strips in between. I'll sew several on then start sewing the rows together. this will take a little bit more time because I'll want to make sure they line up okay.

I'll probably have to put off the next step for a few days...have a large basket of cloths to fold and supposedly that type stuff is suppose to come first... more later.

No comments:

Post a Comment