Sunday 3 October 2010

Surviving Pansies


Can you believe it but these were transplanted from a flower box we inherited when we bought the house. They left two planter boxes on the front porch and we moved them to the back yard. At the end of the first summer these pitiful little pansies showed up amongst the few weeds. It was nice to see them florish so I just left them. Ethan pulled the weeds so it was just a few pansies in this lonely box. A little bunch has bloomed each summer.
Then this summer we decided to use the box for our tomatos so Ben transplanted them to the front yard next to my little carnation plants, which by the way have a couple flowers on all three plants. There were only 3 or 4 flowers and they looked pretty pathetic the first few weeks. Of course it started to get warm so the watering dried up pretty fast. I'm really weird because I look at my plants every morning when I go to work. Mainly because I'm so amazed that they are still alive and florishing. Imagine my amazement when what seemed like overnight they just went wild and there were twice as many flowers.. it wasn't long before this little bunch grew into what you see in the picture.
Here it is the 3rd of October and they are so full and thriving.. Guess they were a lot hardier than I thought. It will be really interesting to see if they come back next year after a long winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment