Wednesday 7 April 2010

My newest project

I decided to try and make a smaller lap type quilt that will cover my lap to my feet. The lap quilts I have are rather large and I wanted something that I can use in the summer. It get cool in the evenings so instead of closing up all the windows, I love fresh air, I can just throw my little quilt on.

With the new arrangement in my quilt room I ran across the Little Red Hen fabric I bought some time ago. As you can see it's on the bright side. So March 27th I used my EQ6 program to design a simple quilt. Of course once it's designed then you have to figure out exactly the right size...always a challenge.

By the next Satruday I had all the 4 patch blocks made and everything else cut. It's basicly a 4patch block with extra squares. So over the rest of the day and through Sunday I sewed it all together. All this plus washing my laundry.

We fixed rib eye steaks that had been marinating all day along with the best au gratin potatoes. Cassie found the recipe in the Pioneer Womens cookbook. We have tried close to a half dozen or so recipes and don't think we've had one that we didn't like.

by Sunday afternoon I had sewen all the blocks into rows. By bedtime I had all the rows into a top. Now I think I'm going to sew a 1 inch border of the checks to sort of break up the design. Still trying to decide whether to put the red hens with the white or yellow backgroun as the outside border. Once I get the checks on I'll lay the two pieces out and have Ben look at it. He has a much better eye for the finishing touches. He's helped me finish up so many quilts. Cassie too. I see what I like and they see what is best. We make a good team.

No comments:

Post a Comment