Monday 22 February 2010

No quilting weekend

Well, this weekend was very productive but not quilting of any kind. Since it was too cold to work in the garage cleaning and I had my card table up I decided to do something else I'd been working on for a while and that's organizing my recipes. I have my recipe box with cards but things just aren't fitting anymore. We have been making copies of recipes off the Internet to try and the ones that have been good, keeping but they don't fit and i don't want to fold them up. So a new book was in need.

The kids wanted to go to Barns & Noble this Saturday morning. We go, find two tables then sit and look through magazines...have a morning coffee and pastry. This is good for me because it keeps my quilt magazine buying to a couple instead of several subscriptions and big purchases. If I like several of the patterns then I pick it up but it is safer this way. Most of the time I see several I really like but know I'll never do them so it saves me dollars.

What's also good is that I can sit back and read my book in sort of a quiet atmosphere and chat with the kids. This week I looked at my magazines and went in search of a recipe book and found one on the discounted shelves. It's from Betty Crocker, had dividers and a little heavier set of pages you can put into your printer and print your recipes with cute borders. I know I could have gone to Staples and bought a notebook but it wouldn't have been as cute, plus with the discount we get and a coupon and the already low price, it only cost me about $6.00 and it already had all the stuff with it. Oh, it also had a pad to make my grocery list on.

So while the cloths were washing and Ethan was busy doing whatever, I proceeded to put all my pages to work. I was able to go back on-line and print out a bunch we had on the nice paper. A lot of the recipes are wrinkled and spotted. Oh, the other thing the book had was two clear plastic sheet you could put your recipe between and still be able to point and not get it dirty. Just wipe it off.

This got me to thinking about my other recipes on cards. They are on the small print side and typing them up and reprinting them in larger font (old age creeping up) would be more beneficial for later. So now I have a dozen or so on the laptop ready to thumb-drive and print.
This is something I've been meaning to do for ages so it's working out pretty good. I've also been making a recipe book to give to Cassie of those I've collected from family and ones we've used as she's grown up. I might do this for Ethan too but it will probably be a while before I give him his. He does like to cook too, just not sure how much yet.

This will be a work in progress too but I think I'll work on it in the evenings and again this weekend to see if I can at least get what I have done. If I stop now it will stay in the box and collect dust and I'm really trying to consolidate stuff...

No comments:

Post a Comment